WashoeDEMs Executive Board Election
Stay up to date with events, issues & meetings
Elect Dems at Every Level
Together We Can Build a Bright Future for Washoe
Improve & Fund Education
Produce More Good-Paying Jobs
Improve Our Parks & Infrastructure
Create Affordable Housing
Protect the Vote
Learn More About Our Candidates
What’s at Stake:
YOUR Voting Rights
YOUR Child’s Safety and Education
YOUR Family’s Healthcare
YOUR Economic Security
YOUR Family Values
AND Women’s Reproductive Rights
Your Elected Dems Deliver for Nevada
NEVADA LEGISLATIVE DEMOCRATS 2021 ACCOMPLISHMENTS
Dems passed the largest education budget in NV history
This adds an additional $500 million in per-pupil spending this budget cycle. They also Supported nearly $200 million in new revenue dedicated to the needs of our students. Additionally,
- To get kids back on track from lost learning due to the pandemic, school districts are now required to produce plans to provide summer school free of charge to all students.
- Increased funding for need-based Silver State Opportunity Grants to help high school students and families apply for financial aid.
- Legislative Democrats also voted to waive registration fees for Native American students who are a member or descendant of a federally recognized Indian tribe in Nevada.
Dems expanded health care access and affordability
- They passed Senate Bill 420, which provides an affordable public option for health insurance for Nevada families and expands Medicaid services for pregnant women.
They also passed legislation that:
- requires prescription labels to be available in a patient’s preferred language,
- provides for presumptive Medicaid eligibility for pregnant women, and
- provide Medicaid coverage for doulas.
LABOR & SMALL BUSINESS ECONOMIC RECOVERY
Dems helped Nevadans hit hard by the pandemic
- Passed $50 million in grants to small businesses and nonprofits to help them keep their doors open and keep employees on the payroll.
- Helped keep Nevadans in their homes by streamlining access to federal rental assistance for both tenants and landlords.
- Earmarked $54 million in federal aid to modernize the state’s unemployment system.
- Ensured workers were provided paid time off to receive a COVID-19 vaccine
- Granted frontline hospitality employees the right to return to their prior place of employment if they were laid off because of the pandemic.
- When the legislature was not in session, they helped their constituents navigate the unemployment system, delivered food to families caring for someone with COVID-19, connected people with services they needed, and much more.
PROTECT VOTING & DEMOCRACY
Nevada expanded access to the ballot box
Legislative Democrats passed bills that made vote-by-mail ballots permanent for everyone who wants one, supported updating our voter registration system to make it more accurate and secure, and moved Nevada to the first-in-the-nation presidential primary. Nevada continues to be a shining star for democracy in our country.
CLIMATE CHANGE & PUBLIC LANDS
Legislative Democrats passed several key pieces of legislation
- Senate Bill 448 adds necessary transmission lines to ensure we achieve our climate goals and adds Electric Vehicle charging infrastructure to ensure we have the ability to meet Governor Sisolak’s clean car program.
- The legislature also closed the “classic car” smog loophole so our communities have cleaner air, took several steps to conserve water and energy in our state, and
- They passed a resolution to protect 30% of our public lands and waters by 2030.
SOCIAL, RACIAL, WOMEN, LGBTQ & ECONOMIC JUSTICE
Social, racial, women, LGBTQ & economic justice expanded
Legislative Democrats passed legislation to make birth control available over-the-counter and that hospitals must provide emergency contraceptives for victims of sexual assault. They also passed bills to allow for multi-parent adoption and to allow pharmacists to dispense HIV medication without a prior prescription from a doctor. Democrats decriminalized most traffic offenses and jaywalking and ended drivers license suspensions for most unpaid traffic fines and fees, which helps keep hard working Nevadans out of our criminal justice system and at their jobs.